Yesterday was my 26th birthday and I thought it would be a perfect time to share and reflect on the years. Some of these are things I have been working on for a while and some of them are brand new to my life. I am by no means an expert on ANY of these. I just think that if I learned it, I can share and hopefully something will resonate with someone else! So here is a compiled list of 26 lessons for turning 26.
- There is no such thing as too much coffee. This is just fact, nobody can tell me otherwise.
- Worry about yourself too. As much time as you spend worrying about other people, make sure you pour into yourself too! This one is definitely hard for me and I have to continue reminding myself it from time to time.
- Begin each day with a clean slate. As easy as it is to carry things into the next day from the day before, it is important to clear out too. Starting each day with as clean of a slate as possible has been something I have been focusing on in the last few months! Don’t carry things that are too heavy.
- Learn to say no confidently. Learning to say no was a hard lesson, but learning to say it confidently was even harder. Girl, say no and say it with confidence!
- Always be reading a book. This one is self explanatory. Always be reading something!
- Luck isn’t real. Being lucky isn’t a thing. If you go through life thinking that some people are just “lucky” and you aren’t… that is just not healthy. If you think you’re going to get good things in life, then you will. If you think you aren’t, you won’t. Manifest that stuff y’all. Don’t rely on luck!
- Choose kindness as often as you can. Do it. It is so easy to get caught up in small, petty things. But at the end of the day, your actions define you. To me, there is no better definition of myself that I want to be true than kind.
- You can forgive others, even when they are not sorry. Oof, this one. It is so hard. When others do you wrong and aren’t even sorry about it. That is so rough. But this goes back to the “start each day with a clean slate” thing. If I carry that weight of holding that grudge or those ill feelings toward someone every time they weren’t sorry for doing something that hurt me, it would be a lot of weight I’m sure. People are going to hurt you, but you can still forgive them. Forgive them, let it go and move on. Forgiving doesn’t mean forgetting. But it sure makes you feel better when you aren’t constantly carrying that weight.
- Do whatever makes you happy. Ugh, so much this. If you like to drink coffee, drink it all. If you like trading Pokemon cards, amazing! If going to the gym everyday makes you happy, awesome. If watching Dr. Phil makes you happy, great. Do whatever makes YOU happy. Who cares what other people think!
- It’s okay to feel lost. Give yourself some grace. Say it with me, “It is okay to feel lost”. It is okay. It is okay to not be okay. It is okay to go through rough times without having something “tragic” happen in your life. You don’t have to feel okay and on track just because other people view your life as being “fine”. You have every right to feel lost and not okay. Give yourself some grace, fight to get yourself back and back on track, and keep going.
- Learn to be okay on your own. Learn to be okay without a significant other and without friends all the time. I have been working on this for a few years now. I am okay being on my own, but I want to reach the level of comfortability that I can go out to eat alone and just take myself out to do things without the need to even just be texting someone or on my phone the whole time. I want to reach the level of peace within myself where I am comfortable just being on my own wherever and whenever.
- Always trust your intuition. THIS. There have been so many times where I have questioned myself because maybe other people saw things differently or had different opinions. But then it turns out that I should have just trusted myself.
- Comparison is the thief of joy. Yeah yeah, we have all heard it a million times. But seriously, with the amount of things we are subjected to each day through all our screens it can become SO easy to compare yourself to others. You are you and they are them. You have been so many places and done so many things and so have they. You are both amazing. You have so many great qualities about you and so do they. You are both amazing. You see so many great things about them, others see so many great things about you. Just don’t compare yourself. Practice acknowledging those things you admire without getting down on yourself.
- Always be you. This does go hand in hand with the whole don’t compare thing. It just takes it a step further. I think that sometimes when we compare it is easy to fall into the mold of what is “on trend”. Sure, doing things on trend can be fun, but you don’t have to. Constantly remind yourself that it is okay to just be you.
- Practice being grateful. Being grateful is an active practice. We cannot just magically become grateful by doing it once. You have to continue to practice being grateful each and every day. It is work, just like anything else.
- If you can change your thoughts you can change your life. It’s no secret that our thoughts and the way we speak to ourselves can have a huge impact on our days. If you can actively change those thoughts that aren’t serving you, think about how much better an impact your thoughts can have on you! Just some food for thought 😉
- Always forgive yourself. Earlier I mentioned forgiving others. Well, it is important to forgive yourself too. You are not and never will be perfect. No one is. That is okay. Stop holding yourself to the mistake you made 5 years ago. Forgive yourself. Start each day with a clean slate. Decipher the lesson out of the mistake and forgive yourself. No need to carry the burden any longer.
- Not everyone is going to like you and thats okay. We have all heard this before too, I’m sure. Well it is true! Not everyone is going to like you. That is FINE. You will be okay! You have your people that love you and that is all that matters.
- The way you react says more about you than anything else. This. The way you choose to react to things that happen to you says SO much about you.
- Quality time with your people is important. Prioritize spending time with your friends and family. And not just spending time with them but spending quality time and building those relationships. It is so important to fuel those relationships with the ones in your corner.
- The fears we don’t face become our limits. I’ll leave this one for what it is. Just think about it. Do the work, figure out your fears that are becoming your limits. I’m sure you can find at least one.
- You are and always will be enough. Trust me, you are.
- Don’t water dead plants. Don’t do it!!! There is a reason that the plant died. It is probably because you were the only one taking care of the plant. You can’t do it alone. You tried your best. Stop watering it.
- Chase YOUR dreams and YOUR goals for YOU. You don’t have to explain your goals and dreams to anyone else. Chase them for you. Not anyone else.
- Romanticize your life more. Yes. Turn your mornings into stories and your nights with friends into fairytales. Don’t just passively live life. Turn your life into something bigger. Those things that you love to do or that take up your me time. It is not just empty space between work and obligations. You are writing the story of your life each and every day. Act like it!
- Never stop learning. Never, ever. Always find lesson always think about your application. There is something to learn from each day if you look for it!
Take what you need, leave what you don’t! Stay positive, spread the love and be kind friends 🙂
All the love,